The Electronics Incubator is a joint initiative between, Department of Electronics and information Technology (Deity) and Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management Kerala (IIITM K), the nodal agency of the project and Startup Village ( Knowledge partner ) and Govt of Kerala ( Infrastructure and evangelization partner through Kerala Startup Mission) to promote consumer electronics based innovation and set up labs and innovation centers that focus on the current trend and emerging technologies of disruptive nature to bring India to the forefront of innovation in the electronics space.
A 25000 sq ft facility has been developed at the Technology Innovation Zone, KINFRA Hitech Park, Kochi, by Kerala Startup Mission for the Electronics Incubator.
An area of focus would be smart wearables that have recently grown to a billion dollar industry and it is proposed to have a facility that would assist innovators design and develop sophisticated wearable tech using the latest rapid prototyping equipment, in the belief that the best of this technology would come from India.
The Do It Yourself (DIY) Innovation center will cater mainly to emerging areas in the maker culture. The Microprocessor and Microcontroller area will have all the latest trailblazers of Do It Yourself (DIY) proponents like Arduino and Raspberry PI aimed at inspiring the startup community to create innovative electronic products
Robotics is an area where India is behind global peers and the Robotics area is instituted to address this gap by developing facilities with robotic actuators and kits that would enable innovator for fast paced development of prototypesRobotics is an area where India is behind global peers and the Robotics area is instituted to address this gap by developing facilities with robotic actuators and kits that would enable innovator for fast paced development of prototypes
The Internet of Things (IOT) is the future of the world where every object is equipped with sensors and connected to the internet which would create limitless new opportunities for individuals and businesses. Its potential is so significant as to spawn the next Facebook or Google, in the form of a visionary company that successfully combines hardware and software to provide a global platform for IOT objects and the innovation centre will be at the forefront of this change by making use of the synergy between the different labs and the multitude of talent among the startups
It is envisaged to set up a Fab Lab, a MIT initiative that will be a part of the electronics incubator and house equipment that will complement the existing Fab Lab.
1. Objectives of the project:
The Electronics Incubator at Cochin, Kerala will primarily create a sustainable ecosystem that will enable startups and entrepreneurs in the electronics sector to build break and innovate, leading to products that will change the landscape of the Indian economy and the macro level objectives will be achieved by:
- Creation of new enterprises focused on Consumer Electronics.
- Providing entrepreneurs access to infrastructure that facilitates manufacture of electronic hardware in a cost effective and sophisticated manner.
- Mitigate the risk that startups face while manufacturing electronic hardware by providing apt mentorship.
- Provide entrepreneurs with access to specialized tools like laser cutters and 3D printers.
- Bridge the time delay taken to absorb new technologies.
- Provide Seed Funding for promising Startups through the project.
- Providing techno-business mentorship to prune and refine the idea from concept board level to an organizational setup.
- Encouraging fail fast to ensure efficient utilization of the high-tech resources made available at the Incubation Centre.
- Creation of holistic ecosystem for encouraging innovation, R&D and entrepreneurship in the ESDM sector
- Enabling creation of Intellectual property within the country for maximising domestic value add and reduce external dependence
- Providing assistance during prototyping, development and commercialisation for the products produced through the project for India and other growth markets.
- Creation of employment at various levels.
- The incubation center should aim at objectives in line with the ESDM vision of the country as outlined in the NPE and other policy documents.
- Emphasis should on IP creation and Product Development to result in increased domestic value addition.
- Incubation center should demonstrate unique integration of academia, industry, government and other incubation ecosystem elements.